Friday, April 1, 2016

A is for Adventure - #atozchallenge

My first post for the April A to Z Blog Challenge will be about Adventure modules.  When I was younger I used to look through my brother's stack of AD&D modules while daydreaming about the adventures contained within those maps and boxed text.   I have always liked to collect rpg rulebooks.  I assumed that I could make up my own adventures to run.  Once I started GMing regularly I realized the benefit of the pre-written adventure module.    The rpg adventure module is a great asset for the GM.

As a busy adult, my gaming and prep time is a limited resource.  Having a document that is ready for play leaves me with more time for running games.  Even if an adventure module isn't perfect for my group there is always some idea, trap, monster, or plot that I can use.

I will close with one of my favorite rpg adventure modules, Tales of the Scarecrow by James Raggi.  This is a very short adventure that is written in a totally different paradigm from other rpg adventures.  I ran it in my Pathfinder game and we had a great time.  If you want to mess with your players then try this.  It is not for everyone, but I think that everyone can get a good idea from it.