Tuesday, April 26, 2016

V is for Vampire: The Masquerade #atozchallenge

Today's post is about Vampire: The Masquerade.  When Vampire hit the rpg market I was taking a break from role-playing games.  I was vaguely aware of what the product was, although I thought that is was mainly a LARP.  I understand that Vampire and White Wolf had a huge impact on role-playing games, but since I did not observe it while it happened and I never played the games I have a hard time explaining what the impact was.  Perhaps I can get bonus points for knowing that there was a brief TV show.



What I have heard about Vampire and other White Wolf games is that they are supposed to be modern Gothic horror but often play out like supernatural superhero games.  I've actually played one session of a Vampire game.  We were going to start a Hunters campaign and only got through the introductory session.  We never saw any vampires but I impressed the GM by making him have to look up the driving rules ("No one ever uses the driving rules!" he said).

I own a few Vampire books that I have picked up in used book stores.  I have the VtM 2nd ed. core book and the Vampire: Dark Ages book plus a few splat books.  The Dark Ages book intrigues me the most.  Maybe soon I will run a campaign full of undead vampire princes plotting against each other.