Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy Gaming in 2015!

Happy New Year!

A new year brings new opportunities, and this post is about my gaming goals for 2015.

1.  Play More - I plan to be a player rather than a DM in 2015.  I will still DM as there is a controlling part of my personality that gravitates me towards the DM chair.  However, I need to have my creative batteries charged and to do that I need to sit in the player's seat.

2.  Create More - My goal is to write more adventures, game reviews, blog posts, stories, and whatever else I can come up with.  Gaming is a creative hobby and that is the biggest thing that I enjoy about it.  Rather than buying up every game and supplement there is I should create my own.

3.  Play More Sci-Fi Games - Fantasy is the go-to genre for so many tabletop gamers.  I like fantasy, but I prefer science fiction.  Sci-fi has its challenges as a gaming genre.  The varieties of sci-fi tropes are more various than fantasy and the genre is more fluid in people's collective consciousness.  Everyone knows what an elf looks like, but everybody's conception of an alien will be different.  However, there are many great sci-fi games out there and I plan to play some of them.

4.  Play FATE - I backed the Kickstarter.  I have Fudge dice, tons of material, and an open mind.  The system interests me and also confuses me.  I look at the rules and think, "This is really cool, how does this work in a session?"  I also think, "This game has so much potential!"  By the end of 2015 I want to have played in a session of a game powered by the FATE rules.

There are my modest gaming goals for 2015.  What are yours?